In 1883, Aaron M. Richey arrived from St. Joseph, Missouri, and settled near the mouth of the Pithlachascotee River. He established a post office in his home on July 9, 1884.
Port Richey was incorporated as a municipality in 1925, in response to the incorporation of New Port Richey the previous year. A woman, Susan Clark, served on the first Port Richey city council. The name Port Richey is older than the name New Port Richey, as the post offices were established in 1884 and 1915, respectively.
The population of Port Richey has remained small, and proposals to abolish the city have gone before the voters several times.
- Browse Videos of Florida’s Historical Towns and Banks
- Collecting Florida National Bank Notes
- State of Florida Civil War Currency
- Mr. and Mrs. Youngerman attend the inagural “The Value of Money” exhibit
- Recent Acquisitions
Notes & Currency
- 18__ Fernandina $3 Obsolete Note
- 1882 $50 Jacksonville Note Charter #3869
- 1902 $10 Punta Gorda Note Charter #10512
- 1882 $5 Palatka Note Charter #3223
- 1902 $5 Key West Note Charter #7942