Plant City’s original name was Ichepucksassa (also known as Idasukshed) after the Indian village that once occupied the territory.Its name caused so much confusion that the city was renamed Cork, after the postmaster’s Irish hometown. It was finally given the name Plant City in commemoration of Henry B. Plant and his railroad, which significantly boosted the commerce in this primarily agricultural community by incorporating it with the South Florida Railroad.
Originally, Plant City was a large cotton center, but after changing its primary crop to strawberries it gained recognition as the winter strawberry capital of the world.
- Recent Acquisitions
- State of Florida Civil War Currency
- Collecting Florida National Bank Notes
- Florida Currency Museum Open Showcasing The William Youngerman Collection
- Mr. and Mrs. Youngerman attend the inagural “The Value of Money” exhibit
Notes & Currency
- 18__ Fernandina $3 Obsolete Note
- 1882 $50 Jacksonville Note Charter #3869
- 1902 $10 Punta Gorda Note Charter #10512
- 1882 $5 Palatka Note Charter #3223
- 1902 $5 Key West Note Charter #7942