Established between 1884 and 1886 Panama City was originally called Park Resort. A Post Office was opened in 1886 and in 1889 the town was renamed Harrison to honor President Benjamin Harrison. In 1909 the name Panama City was chosen when the towns people decided to incorporate. Interest swirled around the construction of the Panama Canal leading to city figures welcoming ships to visit the Port of Panama City in later years.
Signed by N.A. Gayle, cashier, and A.A. Payne, as president. This is the only bank in Florida with the rare engaved Treasury Signatures of Napier and Thompson. A.A. Payne also served as cashier with A.S. Hill as president. When the bank failed on Feb. 12, 1931, A.A. Payne was serving as president, J.R. Faircloth was vice-president and C.C. McClure was cashier.
Organized on February 26, 1913 and chartered on March 12, 1913 the First National Bank of Panama City was established. The Depression was to blame for the banks downfall which eventually ended in receivership on February 12, 1931.
- Recent Acquisitions
- Collecting Florida National Bank Notes
- Browse Videos of Florida’s Historical Towns and Banks
- State of Florida Civil War Currency
- Mr. and Mrs. Youngerman attend the inagural “The Value of Money” exhibit
Notes & Currency
- 18__ Fernandina $3 Obsolete Note
- 1882 $50 Jacksonville Note Charter #3869
- 1902 $10 Punta Gorda Note Charter #10512
- 1882 $5 Palatka Note Charter #3223
- 1902 $5 Key West Note Charter #7942