Milton was settled in the early 1800s as a small village centered on the lumber industry. The town was formerly known as Scratch Ankle, because of the briars and bramble that grew in the area. Its current name most likely comes from “Milltown,” since Milton had the largest mill around. Milton was incorporated as a city in 1844, one year before the Territory of Florida joined the United States as the 27th state.
During the Civil War, much of Milton was burned by Confederate forces retreating from the Union capture of Pensacola in May 1862. The Confederates intended to prevent the town’s industries from falling into Union hands. Many Milton residents fled to Alabama.
First National Bank In Milton was the efforts of reorganizing and saving the First National Bank of Milton. The new banks charter was issued on January 27, 1934.
- Recent Acquisitions
- State of Florida Civil War Currency
- Browse Videos of Florida’s Historical Towns and Banks
- Collecting Florida National Bank Notes
- Mr. and Mrs. Youngerman attend the inagural “The Value of Money” exhibit
Notes & Currency
- 18__ Fernandina $3 Obsolete Note
- 1882 $50 Jacksonville Note Charter #3869
- 1902 $10 Punta Gorda Note Charter #10512
- 1882 $5 Palatka Note Charter #3223
- 1902 $5 Key West Note Charter #7942