Jasper was founded close to suplies but far enough away to retain some independence and solitude. Jasper is believed to rest on land thought to be the site of Miccosukee Indians, sub tribe of the Seminole nation. The 1823 Treaty of Moultrie bought the Indian lands and the population was required to move east of the Suwannee River. It allowed settlers to move into the area. A suspected Indian burial mound is located at Baisden Swamp just on the outskirts of Jasper. Six miles north of Jasper along the Alapaha River an established Indian village called Halato Micco once stood, suggesting the type of Indian inhabiting the area where artifacts of pottery, spear points, and arrowheads are often found.
During the Second Seminole War (1835-42) pioneers throughout Halton County began assembling into a frontier village for protection against Indian raids. By the end of the war, they were referring to their little clearing in the wilderness as ‘Jasper’ in honor of Sergeant William Jasper.
The organization of the First National Bank of Jasper took place on January 17, 1905 with following the charter date of May 22, 1905. The Depression victimized many banks including the First National Bank of Jasper fell into receivership on May 13, 1930. Only 4 large size notes known on this rare one bank town, with no small size notes reported to date.
- Collecting Florida National Bank Notes
- Recent Acquisitions
- State of Florida Civil War Currency
- Mr. and Mrs. Youngerman attend the inagural “The Value of Money” exhibit
- Browse Videos of Florida’s Historical Towns and Banks
Notes & Currency
- 18__ Fernandina $3 Obsolete Note
- 1882 $50 Jacksonville Note Charter #3869
- 1902 $10 Punta Gorda Note Charter #10512
- 1882 $5 Palatka Note Charter #3223
- 1902 $5 Key West Note Charter #7942