Known as Persimmon Hollow for the wild persimmon trees that grow around the natural springs, the area was originally accessible only by steamboat up the St. Johns River. It was settled in 1874 by Captain John Rich, who built a log cabin. Henry Addison DeLand, a baking soda magnate from Fairport, New York, visited there in 1876, and envisioned building a citrus, agricultural and tourism center. That year he bought land and founded the town, naming it after himself. He sold his northern business and hired people to clear land, lay out streets, erect buildings and recruit settlers, most of whom came from upstate New York. (However, he never lived in the city year-round.) The City of DeLand was officially incorporated in 1882, and became the county seat of Volusia County in 1887. It was the first city in Florida to have electricity.
In 1877 Henry A. DeLand built a public school for the town in 1877. To enhance the community’s stature and culture, and to enhance the value of his local real estate holdings, in 1883 Henry A. DeLand established DeLand Academy, Florida’s first private college. However, in 1885, a freeze destroyed the orange crop. One story has it that DeLand had guaranteed settlers’ investments as an inducement to relocate, and so was obligated to buy back their ruined groves, though there is no hard evidence that this actually happened. Like many other would-be real estate magnates in the area at the time, his Florida investments were nearly worthless after the freeze, and he returned to his home in the North. DeLand entrusted the academy to his friend John B. Stetson, a wealthy hat manufacturer from Philadelphia and one of the institution’s founding trustees. In 1889, it was renamed John B. Stetson University in its patron’s honor. In 1900 it founded the first law school in Florida (relocated to Gulfport in 1954). Its various sports teams are called the Hatters.
During the 1920s Florida Land Boom, DeLand’s streets filled with fine examples of stucco Mediterranean Revival architecture by native architect Medwin Peek and others, many of which have been handsomely restored, one being the recently reopened Athens Theatre.
Since 1992, the city has hosted the DeLand Fall Festival of the Arts, a two-day event in the historic downtown area. As of 2009, the event has an annual attendance of more than 50,000 over the weekend immediately prior to Thanksgiving each year.
The First National Bank of Deland received its charter on February 7, 1910 after being founded on January 5, 1910 with $50,000 capital. October of 1929 the stock market collapsed which lead to the demise of many banks including the First National Bank of Deland falling into receivership on July 12, 1929.
The Barnett National Bank of Deland was issued a charter on October 21, 1929 and opened for business only three days later. The bank prospered eventually giving up its national charter and simplifying their name to the Barnett Bank of Deland. Issuing only small size notes signed by R.A. Lipscombe, cashier and Frank W. Norris as president.
- State of Florida Civil War Currency
- Mr. and Mrs. Youngerman attend the inagural “The Value of Money” exhibit
- Browse Videos of Florida’s Historical Towns and Banks
- Florida Currency Museum Open Showcasing The William Youngerman Collection
- Collecting Florida National Bank Notes
Notes & Currency
- 18__ Fernandina $3 Obsolete Note
- 1882 $50 Jacksonville Note Charter #3869
- 1902 $10 Punta Gorda Note Charter #10512
- 1882 $5 Palatka Note Charter #3223
- 1902 $5 Key West Note Charter #7942