ALACHUA

 

Alachua was established in 1884 on a railroad line, after the railroad had bypassed nearby Newnansville. Alachua got a post office in 1887 and was incorporated as a city on 12 April 1905, at which time it had a population of 526 people.

Former First National Bank of Alachua, Alachua, FL

image preview

 Building Name

First National Bank of Alachua

Historic District

City of Alachua Downtown Historic District

The former First National Bank of Alachua is located in Alachua, Florida. The bank was chartered in 1908 (unknown when building was constructed). It was bought out by Capital City Bank Group, Inc. in 2005. It is now home to a retail establishment. This is a contributing building on the National Register of Historic Places and a part of the City of Alachua Downtown Historic District.

 

The First National Bank of Alachua

003 (2)

004 (2) 1902 Date Back S.C. Dill, cash. C.A. Williams, Pres.

003 (3)

1902 $10 Plain Back E.S. Traxler, cash. W.H. Traxler, pres.

005 (2)

1929 $10 Type 1. E.S. Traxler, cash. C.A. Williams, pres.

 

005 (3)

1929 $10 Type 2. E.S. Traxler, cash. C.A. Williams, pres.

Charter Number 8980 granted on January 2, 1908, and as of 2003 is Florida’s oldest National Bank.¬† Only 4 large notes and 3 small size notes known on this one bank town.

 

 

«
»